Do not leave pets unattended during a storm event. Ensure pets are wearing I.D. Have enough food, medication and sanitary supplies for your pet for a minimum of 3 – 5 days. Fish tank pumps should be equipped with an adapter for battery power.
If you are not staying home, pets should be taken, in advance, to a veterinarian kennel or a host home.
Broward County operates some Pet-Friendly Shelters as an option of last resort. Pets are not allowed in the County's General Population Shelters.
- Call the Humane Society of Broward County to register for the Broward County Pet Friendly Shelter in advance at: 954-989-3977.
- Owners must stay with their pets at the shelter and care for them. Shelters do not provide supplies, only basic cover from the storm.
Note that only service animals are permitted in General Population Shelters, so long as the pet meets the requirements under Federal law.
Learn more about preparing your pet for an emergency situation at Ready.gov/pets.
Should you have to evacuate, ensure you have:
- Your pet's paperwork for vaccinations and medical history
- Recent photo of each pet
- Collar/harness with ID tag and rabies tag
- Sturdy leash or pet carriers (A pillowcase is a good option for transporting cats and other small animals)
- Non-spill bowls
- Small sample-sized bag of dry food or pop-top lid of canned food
- Plastic bags and litter
- Chew toy and treats
- Names and phone numbers of emergency vet hospitals and animal shelters