Standard requirements for bicyclists in Florida
- Use of headphones, earbuds, etc. is prohibited while riding.
- A properly fitting and secured helmet is mandatory for all riders ages 15 and under.
Night Riding, Running or Walking
If you must ride or run at night, stay visible by using the following:
- A lamp that projects white light that can be seen from at least 500 feet away is required on the front of the bicycle; a lamp on the rear that projects red light and can be seen from 600 feet away; and a red reflector on the rear of the bicycle are all required.
- Additional lighting and reflectors is strongly encouraged.Battery-powered and generator-type lighting systems are readily available for bicycles.
- The use of leg lamps, shoe lights, or any other lights that create motion should be considered.
- Reflective tape on the bicycle and reflective clothing helps to increase visibility.It is also recommended to wear light colors.