Curbside residential recycling collection service is provided by Republic Services. This contract is supervised by the Director of Public Works.
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Saturday 7:00 AM – 10:00 AM
Recycling Service Days and Carts
Recycling collection is once weekly and falls on one of your garbage collection days.
Standard issue recycling carts are 35-gallons. Should you desire a larger recycling cart, you can trade in your cart for a larger one. You can select a 64-gallon cart by contacting Republic Services at 954-583-1830. Only carts provided by the City may be used.The carts should be placed at the curb prior to 7:00 AM on your service day.
To ensure for proper and efficient collection, the carts must be placed correctly – facing the street, at least 3 feet away from obstacles like another cart, mailboxes, fire hydrants, trees, etc.
Click on the link below to watch a video explaining the use of the garbage and recycling carts.
Recycling Collection: What Items are Accepted?
Since we have single stream recycling, all recyclable items can be placed in the same cart – there is no longer a need to sort out items.
Items accepted in your recycling cart include:
- Paper: Newspapers, inserts, catalogs, magazines, junk mail, office paper, soft-covered books, file folders, soda cartons, and crushed boxes including tissue boxes and those from food items such as cereal, rice and pasta
- Flattened cardboard from non-food items such as shipping boxes
- Plastic: containers with neck narrower than body, such as soda bottles, milk, water, detergent and shampoo bottles
- Glass food and beverage containers
- Aluminum, steel or tin food and beverage containers
- Milk and juice cartons and drink boxes
DO NOT place these items in your recycling cart:
- Plastic bags
- Pizza boxes
- Rechargeable batteries
- Styrofoam or plastic take-out food containers or trays
- Certain glass products including window or auto glass, light bulbs, mirrors, glass cookware or bake-ware, and ceramics
- Pots, pans, metal utensils or scrap metal
- Paint and pesticides
- Electronic waste and accessories
- Medical waste and pharmaceuticals
- Household garbage and other waste such as gas cylinders, tanks, rocks, dirt, building debris, flammables, small appliances
- Miscellaneous plastics and toys
- Hoses, wires, holiday lights
Garbage and recycling collection is automatically initiated when you open a water utility account. A garbage cart and recycling cart will be delivered to your residence. The fees related to garbage and recycling collection are placed onto your annual tax bill. To open a water utility account, call the City of Sunrise Utilities Division at 954-746-3232.
- Residential Bulk Trash Collection
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection and Electronics Recycling
- Broward County Solid Waste and Recycling Services