Flood and Stormwater Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Stormwater Management

In Weston, stormwater is managed through a system of interconnected lakes and canals which are regularly maintained by the City's Public Works Department.  Constant, unobstructed water flow through these water bodies, especially during storm events, is essential to prevent flooding.

Stormwater also enters the City's management system through catch basins (stormwater drains).  The City has a comprehensive preventive maintenance program, whereby each basin on the City's public rights-of-way is inspected once per year and obstructive debris from within is removed.  Property owners are urged to keep catch basin grates on or adjacent to their property clear of tree limbs, palm fronds, leaves and any debris that may obstruct the flow of water into the basin.

It is a violation of City and state laws to dump trash or introduce pollutants into the City's water bodies and wetland mitigation areas.

 An overview of the City’s comprehensive stormwater management system:


Keep catch basins clean throughout the year to prevent localized flooding in your neighborhood.   Remember:  ONLY RAIN DOWN THE DRAIN.


For the convenience of those visiting Weston's website that are using a screen reader for ADA accessibility, all videos are also posted on the Weston Government's YouTube channel, with closed captioning.

Flood Information

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's National Flood Insurance Program Elevation Certificate and Instructions is available online.

FEMA Letters of Map Change (LOMC)

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program provided the table of Letters of Map Change (LOMC), effective August 19, 2014.

For information relating to LOMC not listed on the table or to obtain copies of previously issued documents, please contact FEMA Map Information eXchange (FIMX), toll free, at 1-877-FEMA-MAP (1-877-336-2627).

National Flood Insurance Program Community Rating System

Weston is one of 22,000+ eligible communities nationwide that have chosen to participate in the voluntary National Flood Insurance Program's (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS) program, which calculates the reality of flood risks.  Participation in the CRS provides a discount for property owners through annual compliance and certification with NFIP standards, and community awareness and education of activities that can be done to ultimately reduce the impacts of flooding.
FEMA Verification Report and Letter for Weston property discounts 

Additional information about the CRS is available on FEMA's website.

Flood Insurance Savings for Weston Residents and Businesses

As a result of the City of Weston’s Class 7 rating in the National Flood Insurance Program’s (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS), Weston property owners receive up to a 15 percent discount on the cost of flood insurance for NFIP flood insurance policies issued or renewed in Special Flood Hazard Areas on or after May 1, 2014.

Preferred Risk Policies, applicable in Zones B, C, and X on the NFIP Flood Insurance Rate Map are not eligible for the CRS discount.  Standard rated flood insurance policies in Zones B, C, X, D, AR and A99 are limited to a CRS discount of 5% in CRS Class 7-9 communities.  The rates for these zones already reflect significant premium reductions.

An Overview of FEMA and Floodplain Management

In 1968, the United States Congress established the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to, among other things, assist communities with the implementation of floodplain management measures to reduce the risk of flooding.  FEMA is responsible for preparing Flood Insurance Rate Maps that show the flood zone areas for each community, including the City of Weston.  The 100-year flood is the national standard upon which flood insurance requirements are based.  While your property may no longer be in a flood zone since the most recent update to the zone maps in 2014, the City urges all property owners and renters to purchase flood insurance to protect against the devastating loss that rising waters can cause. Even if flood insurance is not federally required, anyone can be financially vulnerable to floods. Those outside of the mapped high-risk flood areas file nearly 25% of all National Flood Insurance Program flood insurance claims and receive one-third of Federal Disaster Assistance for flooding according to FloodSmart.gov.



Flooding within Community Association Maintained Properties

Roadways (and their drainage systems) within private communities are owned and maintained by the community’s maintenance association, not the City of Weston.  Response to, and mitigation of, flooding that occurs within these private communities is the responsibility of the community’s management company or Homeowner's Association.  In the event that flooding is so severe that a structure may be compromised, property owners may call the City’s Department of Public Works at 954-385-2600.  Public Works staff will investigate the situation and determine if the cause of the flooding is the community’s drainage system or the City’s storm water management system, and take the appropriate action if any is needed.  The City does not perform work on privately-owned drainage systems.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer