Pool and Water Safety
- 90% of drownings occur when a child walks out the door without anyone noticing.
- The majority children who drowned walked out of their home out through the sliding glass door!
- 1-3 year olds are the most likely to drown!
Drowning is the number one cause of death for children ages one to four in Broward County. Drowning is preventable!
A majority of toddler drowning fatalities occur because of a brief lapse in supervision within the home or play area of the yard.
- Never leave children unsupervised in or around a body of water - even for a moment. Children can drown in as little as two inches of water in less than one minute.
- Install a self-closing gate around the pool.
- Alarm every door leading to water to alert you if a child has gone outside.
- Teach children water and swimming skills.
- During pool parties or family beach gatherings, designate an adult to watch the children.
- Remove any toys that may attract children to the pool area.
- Install a pool cover to securely cover the water area.
- Install a poolside, cordless phone.
- Keep lifesaving equipment - a pole, life preserver and rope - in the pool area.
- Children with long hair should have it back in a ponytail.
- Avoid keeping water in buckets or other large containers when toddlers are home.
- Don't rely on flotation devices to protect your children in the water.
Drowning Prevention Checklist
- Constant adult supervision by an adult who knows how to swim
- Learn to swim - swimming skills reduces the risk of drowning, especially for children
ages 1 - 4
- Install and use pool barriers, including a fence surrounding water with a self-closing gate that locks or a secured pool cover that remains in place at all times that the pool is not in use
- Use childproof locks on all doors leading to water
- Ensure alarms for doors and windows leading to pool are activated
- Remove above-ground pool stairs when pool not in use
- Have lifesaving equipment in pool area.
- Pool chemicals and supplies are locked in a secure area
- Child is watched in bathtub at all times
- Parent and / or caregiver know CPR
Learn to Swim | Swim Lessons for Infants through Adult
Here in Weston, the Weston YMCA offers swimming lessons for all ages.
- Swim Coupon
The Children’s Services Council of Broward County has partnered with Broward County’s SWIM Central program to provide a coupon with a value of $40 to help off-set the cost of swimming instruction for children ages 6 months through 4 years-old.
- List of locations in Weston and throughout Broward County that provide swim lessons.
- Water Smart Broward
- Home Water Safety Checklist
- Broward County Sheriff - Drowning Prevention
- CPSC - Pools and Spas
- CDC - Unintentional Drowning: Get the Facts
- CDC - Drowning Risks in Natural Water Settings Spas
Visit the City of Weston YouTube Channel for Informational Drowning Prevention videos: