To ensure the safety of the thousands of children who walk or ride their bikes to schools in Weston each day, the City of Weston contracts for the provision of school crossing guards. The City currently has approximately 70 crossing guards at nine elementary and middle school crossing locations throughout Weston. Crossing guards are at City posts twice a day, to cross students on their way to and from school.
- All crossing guards are certified by the State of Florida and have received standardized training through the guidelines adopted by the Florida Department of Transportation.
- All crossing locations must be approved not only by the City, but also by the Broward County Traffic Engineering Division and once approved, are properly marked.
- If there is summer school designated by the School Board of Broward County, crossing guards are present at crossing locations for those schools during this period.
- Stress to children that they should only cross at specified crossing guard locations for your child's route to school. Each school has a list of crossing locations for their school or you can contact City Hall.
- Urge your children to listen to crossing guards and cross only when the guard crosses them.
- Crossing Guards do not direct or expedite motor vehicle traffic. They are there for the safety of the children to help students cross, utilizing traffic control devices such as traffic signals, if available at the crossing location.
Persons interested in becoming a crossing guard can contact Adecco Services at 954-351-1550.
Questions regarding the crossing locations or the crossing guard program should be directed to the City's Director of Communications at 954-385-2000.