Seasonal Topics

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Winter Holiday Safety

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Cooking

Cooking - Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires and the related injuries, with most involving the stovetop.

  • Stay in the kitchen while you’re frying, grilling or broiling food; and turn it off any time you leave the kitchen.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop, such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, and towels.
  • Create a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove.
  • Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. If a fire occurs, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop and call 911. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled. For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

Be Fire Smart as You Deck the Halls

Holiday decorations can increase your risk for a home fire.

  • Read manufacturer's instructions on light strands for the maximum number of strands to connect and the proper extension cords, etc.
  • More than one third of house fires are caused by candles. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns and be sure the surface that the candle is placed upon is non-flammable, this is especially true for Hanukkah menorahs, the Kwanzaa kinara or tapered candles -- which have open flames.
  • Consider using flameless candles, which look and smell like real candles.
  • Christmas tree fires are not common, but when they do occur they are extremely dangerous -- one in 32 cause death. If you have a live tree, keep it watered throughout the season. A dry tree can become fully engulfed in fire in a matter of seconds.
  • Make sure your tree is at least three (3) feet away from any type of heat source, including a/c vent (which will blow heat on chilly days!), a fireplace, candle(s), etc.
  • Dispose of your tree after Christmas and keep it watered until then.