COVID-19 Information>> Coronavirus  |  Parks Virtual Activities>>

How to Obtain a Business Tax Receipt

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Required Steps 

1. Certificate of Use (CU)

Prior to applying for a Business Tax Receipt, a City of Weston Certificate of Use (CU) is required. A Certificate of Use is not an annual requirement, unless any physical alterations to the business location would require a renewed Certificate of Use per Building and Zoning requirements.

CU applications are available for download or can be picked up at:

  • Weston City Hall, 17200 Royal Palm Boulevard
  • Building Code Services Department, located inside the Weston Administrative Services Center, 17250 Royal Palm Boulevard

Once a Certificate of Use (CU) has been obtained, you may submit the Business Tax Receipt application.

2. Complete the Business Tax Receipt (BTR) Application Form

Download and complete your BTR application form, or

Pick up an application at Weston City Hall, 17200 Royal Palm Boulevard during regular business hours.  Contact us if you have any questions.

3. Submit the BTR Application

Completed applications, including required documentation copies and applicable fee, are accepted and processed by the BTR Coordinator at Weston City Hall.   First-time applicants cannot be processed online due to the State required documentation that must be received with the application.

The following documents are required upon filing your Business Tax Receipt application:

Copy of Certificate of Use (CU)

  • Individual professionals will submit a copy of the affiliated general business' CU, along with a letter acknowledging the professional's use of the CU and whether there have been any changes to the space since the issue date that would require the issuance of a building permit.
  • Subtenants may submit the Owner/Tenant CU, along with a letter acknowledging the use of the CU by the subtenant and whether there have been any changes to the space since the issue date that would require the issuance of a building permit.

Fictitious Name Registration

A copy of current registration issued by the State must be provided by owners conducting a business under a name other than their own; OR a signed, written statement setting forth the reason the applicant or new owner need not comply with the Fictitious Name Act.

Fictitious Name Registration not required:

  1. When the applicant is a licensed attorney forming a business for the practice of law in the State of Florida.
  2. When the applicant is registered with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation and their licensing board has not imposed requirements for the registration as a fictitious name.
  3. When the applicant is a corporation, partnership or other legal entity filed or registered and in good standing with the Division of Corporations and is not transacting business under any other name.
  4. When the applicant is a federally chartered corporation and is not transacting business under any other name.
  5. If the name(s) (first and last) of the owner(s) is/are included in the business name. Example: Susan Brown's Flower Shop is not required to register. Susan's Flower Shop must register.

Copies of any active state certificate, registration, or license

First-time applicants for the practice of any profession regulated by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation or any board or commission thereof must present copies of their active state certification, registration or license.

Federal Employer Identification (EIN) or Social Security Number

Business owners may complete the Internal Revenue Service Form SS-4 in order to acquire an employer identification number (EIN), which is a number assigned to employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, etc, for tax filing and reporting purposes.  The EIN is required if your business is either a:

(I) State Corporation; or

(II) Sole Proprietor with:  (i) employees; (ii) Keough Plan; and (iii) Excise Tax

For more details, call the IRS at 800-829-1040, or visit the IRS online at

If the business is not required to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), an individual business owner can use their own Social Security Number for tax reporting purposes. 


Payment can be made in cash, check or credit card and is required at the time your BTR application is filed.


Additional documentation is required under City Code for Health or Ballroom Dance Studios, Mobile Food Vendors, Pest Control businesses, Pharmacies, Psychologists, Sellers of Travel, Telemarketers, and Contractors.


Contact the City of Weston Business Tax Coordinator at 954-385-2000 or via email.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer